Behind The Scenes

Behind The Scenes
Before the game can be played, the field must be made ready. Is your field ready?

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Red Smith He Ain't; But He's Blogging Again

As I was saying...

Well, I wasn't really. Not in blog form. For a long while anyway.

In fact, I haven't blogged at all since 2009, when I sort of let my weight loss blog - Off Mic With Dan Scott - mysteriously fade away. Ironically, my weight loss did the same thing.

That facet of my life has been up and down. It's semi-under control at the moment. I could do better, but I've been much, much worse.

But that's not what this blog is about. Oh, I'm sure in the day-to-day posts there will be mention of it from time to time. But this blog is about much more than that.

This time, I'm writing about my daily walk as a follower of Jesus Christ. A walk that, sadly, didn't begin until I was 45 years old. Or, as of this writing, less than 13 months ago. It has been a year of challenges, coming off a lifetime of challenges.

How I've met those challenges...that's the story. The difference. The reason I've decided to write again.

What will you see in this blog?

For starters, a good deal about my failures and how God - through His son Jesus - pulled me from the depths of despair when I was on the verge of losing everything. And by everything, I mean everything - family, home...you name it.

Fortunately, my wife Angela and my two beautiful daughters - Samantha and Rebekah - hung in with me. Outside of my relationship with Jesus, my relationship with them means more than anything in the world.

I'll also chronicle the daily joy and frustration that comes with being a husband and dad. Oh, did I mention that save for a contract job as Voice of Furman University athletics, I'm unemployed? Eleven years I hosted the same radio sports talk show in Clemson, SC. In the 18 months since, I've tried - unsuccessfully - to relaunch the show (twice) and take my StayPuft Marshmallow Man-looking self into the world of television.

Not good.

But what is good is what I've learned along the way. What I'm still learning. And how more and more I'm relying on God rather than myself. In case you didn't know, I have a habit of trying to fix things that aren't broken. The results are, in a word, ugly more often than not.

No doubt you'll see some sports in this blog. Hopefully some humor. But mostly, an insight into the daily life of a new Christian - how I got here, why it took so long, and how I handle problems and issues now compared to my pre-salvation days.

Oh, and the blog's name? Pretty self-explanatory. I am the son of a preacher man. My dad - the original Dan Scott - pastored the same church in WV for 37 years. He and my mom, Barbara, raised me in a Christian home.

It wasn't always easy. You know what they say about preacher's kids (for the record, we always blamed the children of the deacons). But looking back now, I can see why they did what they did as parents. And I'm ever so thankful I was raised in that environment.

Plus, and this is the fun part, now that I'm beyond the age of dad's belt-wielding discipline (I think), we can have some fun telling stories of my childhood that may or may not contain information he and mom weren't aware of - then or now.

I hope you'll enjoy the stories, the laughter, the tears...And I hope that I'll learn as much or more from your responses and stories.

Until next time...God Bless you all.

So long everybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment