Behind The Scenes

Behind The Scenes
Before the game can be played, the field must be made ready. Is your field ready?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Defying Einstein...Or Whoever

There's a quote often attributed to Albert Einstein. I don't know if he actually said it or not. But someone did, and it goes like this:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I can certainly see the wisdom in that quote. Following the same pattern of failure, or self-destruction, time after time is enough to make those around wonder if you're not, in fact, crazy. At the very least.

But there's also a fallacy in ol' Al's (or whoever) statement. At least for Christians. Because no matter how often life beats us down, we are to respond by doing the same things over and over again - pray, and work hard to increase our faith.

Everyone's got a story of hardship. I'm certainly no better or worse than anyone else. But I share the following as an example of Al's (or whoever) flawed theory.

In the 20 months since I gave my life to Jesus Christ, success by the world's standard has eluded me. It actually started in the months prior to that wonderful day - June 10, 2012. But for the purpose of today's blog we'll focus on the post-salvation time frame.

Since that day in June:

- I've had two self-started media ventures fail that added to my family's financial woes (remember, I lost my 11-year daily radio sports talk show in late Jan. of the same year).

- I had to walk away from my most recent radio gig after almost six months because of contract issues I simply couldn't reconcile with station management.

- I've had to put my foundation on hold because of the government losing my paperwork.

- We've had one car repossessed. Another totaled and lost in a wreck (thankfully no one was hurt).

- We are struggling to keep up our house payments, and currently losing the battle.

- We have an 18-year old daughter preparing for college (no expense there, right?)

- Attempts to find even mediocre paying jobs that fit my skill set have been fruitless. Almost 47 without a college degree isn't attractive to most employers.

Why am I sharing this today? Most certainly not for sympathy, or to cry woe is me.

No. It's just the opposite. It's to rejoice in the peace I have because of my faith in Jesus, and to give God the glory for what he's done in my life - even if it doesn't meet the world's standard of success.

Don't get me wrong. I want a good-paying job. I want to take care of my family. Any man with even a sliver of responsibility flowing through his veins feels obligated to provide for his wife and children. And when you can't, it's hard to take.

I can promise you; It's not fun to take blow after blow.

The difference, though, is where my heart and treasure lie now. And that's Heaven. I know regardless of what happens to me here on earth, my true reward awaits me. And it's that knowledge, which is a benefit of faith in Jesus, that allows me to remain joyful even during life's storms.

Do I get angry? Sure I do. Depressed? You bet. Wonder why me? Absolutely. I'm human, and those are all characteristics of an imperfect human life.

But since that Sunday morning in June 2012, I've learned to take those feelings, emotions etc. to The Lord in prayer. And with the guiding (and sometimes reprimanding) of the Holy Spirit, I'm learning how to respond.

And it's the same process, time after time. Casting my burdens upon The Lord. And while still struggling in the midst of the storm, finding that peace I'd always heard about and now experience. The peace that surpasses all understanding.

And that, Al (or whoever), is what I do over and over again. Even if the world calls me insane.

And I always get the same result.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment